SV: [Soekris] mobile wireless AP

Jens Christian Andersen jens at danx.dk
Mon Jul 21 16:34:00 UTC 2003

Hi Dirk-Willem

> I am working on a fairly similar system here for a european traffic
> project. We've done the GPS connection and the GPRS/GSM connection
(though
> not at the same time over serial - i.e. one on serial, the other on
> pcmcia, and on the 4501 one on serial the other on the second serial
> inside, and the PCI slot for the WiFi card) - but our display needs
are
> much simpler than yours (just an backlit 8x40 line/char LCD).

Nice to know I am not the only one with this idea :-)

> However I do not see any showstopper issues in your shopping list..
but I
> would challenge the choise of equipment long term; i.e. for a few demo
> units it may make sense (though so would an ordinary laptop or a PC104
> based system) - but if you are going to do 50+ units it would propably
> make sense to OEM one of the car navigation units and use a more or
less
> COTS system from that field.

The system is not only for traffic navigation, the base of the system
and the reason for using a Symbol PPT 8800 is that we scan (BARCODES)
all packages that we transport for our costumers. The system is going to
run some home made route-planning algorisms (based on the data from the
barcodes) on the road and then uploads these to the primary server using
the GPRS card. Then the primary server plans the total route of the
package. Trust me it is a pretty complex system. :-)

The cool thing about the Soekris is the power needs, size and the large
amount of connects. We are a small company but all system are tailor
made for the costumers that say, I still have to have a based system
that all cars must have.

> Technically getting bsd/linux on them is not a big deal at all (though
the
> license nightmare can be - as some vendors are tied to WinCE) - and as
> with any open soure OS getting things certified by your local road
> authority can be a bit of a pain.

The Symbol 8800 will still run WinCE do to the vendor's demand of
support and repair.

Jens