[Soekris] mobile wireless AP

Dirk-Willem van Gulik dirkx at webweaving.org
Mon Jul 21 15:05:39 UTC 2003

I am working on a fairly similar system here for a european traffic
project. We've done the GPS connection and the GPRS/GSM connection (though
not at the same time over serial - i.e. one on serial, the other on
pcmcia, and on the 4501 one on serial the other on the second serial
inside, and the PCI slot for the WiFi card) - but our display needs are
much simpler than yours (just an backlit 8x40 line/char LCD).

However I do not see any showstopper issues in your shopping list.. but I
would challenge the choise of equipment long term; i.e. for a few demo
units it may make sense (though so would an ordinary laptop or a PC104
based system) - but if you are going to do 50+ units it would propably
make sense to OEM one of the car navigation units and use a more or less
COTS system from that field.

Technically getting bsd/linux on them is not a big deal at all (though the
license nightmare can be - as some vendors are tied to WinCE) - and as
with any open soure OS getting things certified by your local road
authority can be a bit of a pain.

Dw.