[Soekris] Cost effective embedded solutions

Matt Rideout mrideout at windserve.com
Fri Jul 18 20:07:14 UTC 2003

Soren,

I'm interested in this type of device. I've been working with WISPs to
setup net45xx based access points. The net4511 and net4521 are already
competitive for this type of application although they're usually too
pricey to justify using as CPE. If a lower priced board were to become
available, I could see it becoming a viable CPE option.

I don't know if you're looking for input at this stage, but here are some
of my thoughts anyway :-)

1. 8MB of RAM would be plenty.
2. A 100MHz processor like you said sounds good.
3. If using RJ-45 instead of DB-9 for the serial port would cut costs at
all, I'm all for it. This is actually more convenient IMO.
4. PCMCIA is definitely preferable to mini-PCI.
5. If some form of on-board flash memory would cost less than a compact
flash card slot, I'd be all for that change as long as we'd be talking
about at least a couple megabytes.
6. If using Ethernet instead of Fast Ethernet would reduce costs, that
would be great as long as the chipset isn't braindead.

Matt