[Soekris] Cost effective embedded solutions

Brandon Peterson brandon at thebandit.org
Fri Jul 18 16:13:53 UTC 2003

Mike,

If anything it looks like more expensive versions are being planned.

BTW, that's exactly what I want. I want to build a devices to compete
with the ~$2500 firewalls like WatchGuard, Cisco, etc. When you think
about the features you can build in Linux or *BSD, it looks pretty nice
to build a comparable product for a hardware cost of ~$500.

Of course, for a "commercial" wireless solution you probably should
compare to Cisco prices rather than Linksys. For example, a Cisco
Aironet 350 AP is ~$620. Don't get me wrong, I love my Linksys WAP54G.
But I wouldn't deploy it as an enterprise solution.

Brandon