[Soekris] Cost effective embedded solutions

Soren Kristensen soren at soekris.com
Fri Jul 18 18:44:29 UTC 2003

Hi Mike & List,

mike-soekris at tiedyenetworks.com wrote:

> Howdy -
>
> 	I'm quite happy with the technical features and overall peformance
> of my 4511 and think it would be a great base for a more commercial
> wireless solution....if it wasn't so darn expensive. I see all these other
> manufacturers like dlink, linksys, etc with their AP and WB units and they
> obviously aren't paying that much - yes I know, smaller cpus (8 bit like
> the UBICOM for example), smaller ram and rom sizes - but still, it
> seems to me that there's got to be something cheaper that's close to
> features and peformance of the 4511. Is soekris planning a sub $100
> variant of these boards any time soon?

I am actually right now looking into the possibility of doing a low cost
feature reduced board with 100 Mhz CPU, 16 Mbyte SDRAM, single ethernet
with 802.3af PoE, single PC-Card or single Mini-PCI, in a RG-1000 form
factor with a 100 qty $100 target price.... And then follow up with a
SC1100 based one for g/a speeds.

Of course a x86 based board will never hit the price of the really low
cost stuff.

Regards,

Soren