[Soekris] PXE doesn't function on Net4501 / BIOS v1.15

Chris Cappuccio chris at nmedia.net
Sat Jul 12 02:14:25 UTC 2003

This isn't auto-negotiation, that's done as soon as the port is lit.

It is spanning-tree.  The port is unusable for the first 60 seconds or
so while it decides whether you are a loop or not.  You don't need to disable
it, there's a 'fast' option for spanning-tree on the Cisco switches that
gives you network access during this time.  This is what's fucking up the
PXE boot for Phil.

Cliff Skolnick [cliff at steam.com] wrote:

> Ciscos also take time to auto-negotiate, you might need to lock the
> interface to a data rate for the same reason.
>
> Cheers,
> Cliff
>
> On Friday, Jul 11, 2003, at 14:47 US/Pacific, Brooks Davis wrote:
>
> >On Fri, Jul 11, 2003 at 11:24:18AM +0200, Oliver wrote:
> >>i had this problem when the link was patched to a 10/100 Cisco
> >>Catalyst
> >>(auto-neg). There was not even a DHCP-request. After patching the link
> >>to a cheap 10M hub PXE works fine ...
> >
> >On the SMC 10/100/1000 switch I have at home, I found that disabling
> >spanning tree seemed to fix the problem.  Oddly, even the patch through
> >a dumb hub trick didn't work reliably with this switch.  Disabling
> >spanning tree seems to have no effect with a Cisco Catalyst 6513 so
> >it's
> >probably just a weird "feature" of the SMC switch.
> >
> >-- Brooks
> ><mime-attachment>
> --
> "The foundation of morality should not be made dependent on myth nor
> tied to any authority lest doubt about the myth or about the legitimacy
> of the authority imperil the foundation of sound judgment and action."
> - Albert Einstein

Nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit -- Seneca