[Soekris] soekris oriented linux distro

Michael DeMan michael at staff.openaccess.org
Fri Feb 28 21:56:49 UTC 2003

Interesting.

I agree about untarring into memory.  We like to run SSHD, SNMP, ZEBRA,
HTTP, IKE/IPSEC and other services on our Soekris gear and already are
pressed for ram.  We have a pretty fat kernel too since we want one
distribution and need 64 BPF, 64 VLAN and other such interfaces.  None of
this stuff takes a huge amount of RAM, but it all adds up.  Plus perl jobs
that fire up to monitor system statistics, synchronize changes to our backup
server for easy disaster recovery, etc.

Our approach to GUI config was initially webmin, and now custom PHP scripts
with THTTPD.  We've settled on several 'user' accounts that provide
different levels of complexity to the user for configuration.

On 2/28/03 1:55 PM, "Raymond Hall" <kovalski at msg.com.mx> wrote:

> On Fri, 2003-02-28 at 14:51, Vladimir I. wrote:
>> Take a look at WISP-Dist. Uses standard libc and fits
>> into 8 MB flash/16 MB RAM. http://leaf-project.org/
>
> I've seen it. I think the issue could be seen as twofold:
>
> 1) the booting process and "run time" environment
>
> In this point, it's almost trivial to have a linux set up and running
> from scratch, and i don't kind of like WISP's heredity from the lrp
> project in the sense that i find booting with syslinux from  a fat
> partition and untaring to ramdisk a pointless overhead in a cf based
> system. It made sense when booting from a floppy, but what's the point
> of duplicating binaries in ram (once when untaring to ramdisk and twice
> when running them) when you could as well bootstrap from a native etx3
> filesystem on the cf?
> so far, the "packages" from lrp are just compressed tars, and i would
> like more control at install and upgrade such as is offered by dpkg, rpm
> or the ipckg that i mentioned in the previous mail.
> (yes, i've played with pebble)
>
> 2) the ad-hoc applications for configuring and managing the unit
>
> this is the "real" stuff, in the sense that there are so many ways and
> ongiong projects to solve this, ranging from the minimal "ssh into the
> unit and vi the startup scripts" to the resource-hungry approach of
> "install apache, perl, php and webmin and do it all via web"
> i haven't checked that much WISP's configuration scripts, but certainly
> my aim is the end-user, probably with a nice web interface, maybe snmp
> configuration too, without limiting the ability of the "power user" to
> exploit the full extent of linux routing capabilities.
>
> we're about to set up  a web page with the system as is so far, and as
> soon as we decide on the configuration approach, maybe wisp inspired or
> maybe a new one from scratch we'll be adding to it.
>
> regards,
> Raymond Hall

Michael F. DeMan
Director of Technology