[Soekris] Caching DNS Server

Michael DeMan michael at staff.openaccess.org
Thu Feb 27 05:34:41 UTC 2003

Hi,

We actually do DNS on our green boxes.  We have them setup both to do local
DNS and operate as primaries to feed our secondaries so customers can manage
their own DNS services.

We do this using Manuel's mini-bsd (http://www.neon1.net) and use webmin to
provide a GUI.

Our expericne as a small ISP however suggests that doing client-side DNS at
this level is not worth the hassle.  As an ISP, you *must* have at least one
reliable 'upstream' DNS server.

If you want DNS on your greenboxes, you can build according to Manuel's
instructions and then simply and the latest BIND port.  I can get you an
image of what we have if you're interested.

- Mike