[Soekris] poor 4521 performance

Vince Vielhaber vv-soekris at michvhf.com
Tue Feb 25 14:27:29 UTC 2003

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003, Vladimir I. wrote:

> >From what I know StarOS have decided explicitely not to support
> Soekris because of some argument with Soren.
>
> Try WISP-Dist (note: I'm its author). It supports IP bridging on
> any type of card.

I tried it, but not for throughput.  From the laptop I started a ping
to another machine and it started immediately.  From the other machine
I started a ping and let it go.  There were 873 lost packets before it
finally found it's way to the machine.   If this was just a config
error I'd sure like to try it again.

> Vince Vielhaber wrote about "[Soekris] poor 4521 performance":
> >
> > I'm trying to use a 4521 as a bridge between two wireless cards.  I'm
> > using StarOS SBC Router (FreeBSD won't bridge between two wireless
> > cards unless they're both in hostap, unless that changed) in this
> > configuration:
> >
> > Laptop <--> 4521 <--> 4511 <--> network
> >
> > Without the 4521 in the picture (just going from laptop to the 4511 to
> > the network) I'm getting about 1.8Mbps.  When I add the 4521 the through-
> > put drops to 128Kbps.  I've used all sorts of combination of cards in
> > each of the three wireless devices (laptop, 4511 and 4521), Demarc 200mw
> > cards, Linksys, Wavelan, D-Link 650H (I think it's a 650H, it's the high
> > power and it's not in front of me right now).  The difference in the cards
> > is negligible.  I expect some degradation, but not this much.
> >
> > The only answers I've been given so far is that the 4521 doesn't have the
> > horsepower for the job.   Does anyone have any other ideas or suggestions
> > to improve this?
> >
> > Vince.
> > --
> >  Fast, inexpensive internet service 56k and beyond!  http://www.pop4.net/
> >    http://www.meanstreamradio.com       http://www.unknown-artists.com
> >          Internet radio: It's not file sharing, it's just radio.

> --
> Best Regards,
> Vladimir
> Systems Engineer (RHCE)