[Soekris] Running Debian on Soekris!.....gnu-linux dhcp issue..???.....pls see me logs

Trevor Warren trevor.w at media.mit.edu
Mon Feb 24 06:21:55 UTC 2003

Hello felix...;)

 I am running exactly the same setup you are(Rh8.0 + dhcpd + tftp + nfs)
running and i to have the same issues you are facing having the box to
boot on gnu-linux.

 My logs while booting the net 4521 over dhcp are as below......

Feb 23 23:38:33 linuxfreak kernel: eth0: lost link beat
Feb 23 23:38:39 linuxfreak kernel: eth0: found link beat
Feb 23 23:38:39 linuxfreak kernel: eth0: autonegotiation complete:
100baseT-FD selected
Feb 23 23:38:50 linuxfreak kernel: eth0: lost link beat
Feb 23 23:38:52 linuxfreak kernel: eth0: found link beat
Feb 23 23:38:52 linuxfreak kernel: eth0: autonegotiation complete:
100baseT-FD selected
Feb 23 23:38:52 linuxfreak dhcpd: DHCPDISCOVER from 00:00:24:c0:aa:38
via eth0
Feb 23 23:38:52 linuxfreak dhcpd: ns1.domain.com: temporary name server
failure
Feb 23 23:38:52 linuxfreak dhcpd: ns2.domain.com: temporary name server
failure
Feb 23 23:38:52 linuxfreak dhcpd: DHCPOFFER on 10.0.0.100 to
00:00:24:c0:aa:38 via eth0
Feb 23 23:38:55 linuxfreak dhcpd: DHCPREQUEST for 10.0.0.100 (10.0.0.93)
from 00:00:24:c0:aa:38 via eth0
Feb 23 23:38:55 linuxfreak dhcpd: DHCPACK on 10.0.0.100 to
00:00:24:c0:aa:38 via eth0
Feb 23 18:08:55 linuxfreak in.tftpd[3864]: tftp: client does not accept
options

 It is very clear that both from the console and the logs that now i
have been able to have the box obtain an IP over the network. Thats
quite an achievement over the box not booting at all...:)

 And now...i have checked the /etc/dhcpd.conf file and it does contain
the location for pxelinux.0 which it promptly loads. But further to
my screen. I only see network activity/console activity when i press the
Enter key repeatedly.

 That apart....nothing else works and the net 4521 refuses to boot using
the PXE BOOT configuration as specified.

 Lemme know if you have made any progress on the same and what may be
alternative ways of debugging the existing situation.

 Hoping i solve this as soon as possible as i have a deploymeny coming
up this weekend in a remote part of India....:(

 Trevor