[Soekris] booting 4501 from compact flash media

felix schmid felix at belugalounge.net
Thu Feb 6 17:06:28 UTC 2003

Hi all,

I am currently trying to run TheWall from Compact Flash.
I can write the filesystem to the flash card after netbooting, and everything
that's been written seems to be readable. However, when I try
to boot from the flash card, I get a  message saying 'read error' after
a couple of seconds and the net4501 attempts to pxe boot.

I am aware of the fact that this is NOT the mailinglist for TheWall;
my question is more aiming at the flash media to use: Do I have to
use a special kind of flash media (I've never used any flash media before)?
I got a Toshiba CompactFlash to be used in digital cameras and mp3
players (that's what it's saying on the box). Are there different kinds of
Compact Flash cards around? Am I missing something else?

regards,
felix