[Soekris] read-only CF switch header on 4501?

Bernd Walter soekris-tech at cicely.de
Mon Dec 29 15:29:22 UTC 2003

On Mon, Dec 29, 2003 at 10:21:54AM -0500, John Fraizer wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Dec 2003, Bernd Walter wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Dec 26, 2003 at 07:05:12PM -0800, nospam wrote:
> > > is it possible to add to (specifically) a NET4501 a header for a switch to
> > > toggle the compact flash (CF) card between read and read-only??
> >
> > CF media don't have a read-only feature.
> >

> Be careful making such broad sweeping statements.  They make you look
> foolish.  I have seen and used CF media that did have a write-disable
> feature.

Vendors are free to add features as they like.
CF specs say nothing about this and so do standart market products.
That's the same as if I had written that CF media don't have a blue LED
which blinks on access - vendors are still free to add one if they like.

There is no specified signal line on the CF header, so adding a jumper
to the board won't work anyway.

If you've seen CF media with write protect then you should really tell
something about them then leaving the statement alone.

ticso at bwct.de                                  info at bwct.de