[Soekris] OpenBSD - ttyflags, kvm_mkdb

Gordon Turner turner at ftn.net
Sun Dec 28 03:07:32 UTC 2003

Damien Miller wrote:

>On Thu, 2003-12-25 at 01:11, Gordon Turner wrote:
>

>>1. With regards to "ttyflags -a" in the 'stock' rc (and not in the rc
>>OpenSoekris script), from the man pages it sets the device flags for the
>>terminals.  If I have / mounted ro, and things are working (ie I can
>>login etc) should I bother running it?
>>

>IIRC I have had serial console trouble in the past when removing
>ttyflags.

Hrm, well at the moment I am not calling "ttyflags -a" from my rc
script, but do have this in my boot.conf:

set tty com0
stty com0 19200

and I don't have any problems.

>>2. Also "kvm_mkdb" appears in the 'stock' rc only, I am having
>>difficulty determining what/who uses the resulting kernel database.  Is
>>this sort of a 'historic' feature that no one is really using anymore?
>>

>Anything that uses libkvm, including ps and netstat. You may want to
>pre-generate the kvm database for your kernel if you are booting of
>flash. kvm_mkdb in OpenBSD -current makes this a little easier.

Okay, so as long as I run it once against the current kernel to create
the db (ie pre-generate as you suggested) then all is taken care of,
makes sense.

Thanks for your help Damien.

GT.