[Soekris] Some question on serial port

Diego Pansica sigsolco at yahoo.it
Thu Dec 18 07:39:12 UTC 2003

Hi all,
i'm a new to embedded, i don't have yet my board but i want to buy one,
i have some question on how to connect the serial port to a terminal

-what kind of wire i must use ?
-what can i do to be sure that i have the right port on my computer ?
-i tried to use minicom on Linux but it starts only when i don't specify any port and it initialize the modem, why ?
-what do you advise to study to be sure that i'm a little ready to buy a board ?
-is there anyone in the list who speaks italian ?

thanks for your