[Soekris] Another CF that doesn't book on 4501.

neal rauhauser neal at lists.rauhauser.net
Tue Dec 16 02:29:24 UTC 2003

   Obtain ComBIOS 1.22 from the Soekris web site if you haven't already,
and ensure that whatever you're using to write to the 32 meg PNY
understands the geometry. I've got some PNY and they work fine with
4511s, but their geometry is *way* different than the other 32 meg
modules I've had. hint: boot your 4501 and see what *it* reports as the
geometry of the flash, and modify whatever tool you're using to reflect
those numbers.

   Here is a snippet from my OpenSoekris installation showing the mods
needed to make PNY 32s fly ...

        33)
             # PNY - labeled 33 to separate it from other 32 meg CF
             totalsize=62720         # "total sectors:"
             bytessec=512            # "bytes/sector:"
             sectorstrack=32         # "sectors/track:"
             sectorscylinder=128     # "sectors/cylinder:"
             trackscylinder=4        # "tracks/cylinder:"
             cylinders=496           # "cylinders:"