[Soekris] openbsd compact flash boot and diskless run scripts

Chuck Yerkes chuck+soekris at 2003.snew.com
Mon Dec 15 03:50:22 UTC 2003

Quoting Matthew S. Hallacy (poptix+soekris at poptix.net):
> On Sat, Dec 13, 2003 at 12:56:14AM -0500, Chuck Yerkes wrote:
> >
> > I log in all the time.  /dev/ must be writable.  I have it on a (170k)
> > MFS.   /mfs (mentioed before) is on a 500k partition.
>
> Why would /dev need to be writable? I run Linux on our soekris systems
> and the only writable thing I have is /var/run (a tiny ramdisk) because
> cardmgr refuses to run unless it can write out a .pid file.

Here's the answer in a kit form:

ls -ltr /dev/

Anything newer than when you installed?

That! gets changed in some way.

pty's get ownership/perm changes when someone logs in and need
to, er, own it.  Some other things get touched as well.

Running syslog to use /var/run/ is sensible, but not historical.
(solaris uses /var/run/log, as I recall after little sleep and a
long weekend).