[Soekris] openbsd compact flash boot and diskless run scripts

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Sun Dec 14 00:32:24 UTC 2003

In message: <3FDB3E0E.4060309 at tenebras.com>
            Michael Sierchio <kudzu at tenebras.com> writes:
: Matthew S. Hallacy wrote:
:
: > Why would /dev need to be writable? I run Linux on our soekris systems
: > and the only writable thing I have is /var/run (a tiny ramdisk) because
: > cardmgr refuses to run unless it can write out a .pid file.
:
: On *BSD systems prior to DEVFS (cf. FreeBSD 5.x +), /dev must be writable.

No it doesn't.  At least not for FreeBSD 4.5.  We have several systems
that have /dev on / and / is mounted read-only.  We only had to hack
one small part of the rc sequence to not do something when / was
readonly.  Even then, they were just warnings and not errors.

: I myself have often asked "why?" regarding many things, and often
: the answers have been history lessons rather than satisfying theoretical
: explanations. YMMV.

OpenSSH does require /dev to be writable so it can chown/chmod the pty
of the connection.

Warner