[Soekris] Yet another CF question

Brantley Coile bwc at borf.com
Sat Dec 13 21:36:42 UTC 2003

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 21:15:36 +0000, Stuart Henderson <stu at spacehopper.org>
wrote:
 the image I stuck onto my Lexar 32MB or my Delkin Devices 32MB.  Soren
mentioned something about geting the geometry right.  Get it right
where?
 I don't know Linux specifically, but the boot loader usually needs to
locate either a kernel or second-stage loader. Often the location of this
is written into the bootloader using C/H/S values (see e.g. installboot(8)
on OpenBSD or fdisk(8) on FreeBSD). This is so the bootblock doesn't have
to understand the filesystem to locate the kernel/loader. These values vary
depending on what the BIOS decides to use, if you write the loader with
values correct under one geometry, but don't use that geometry to boot
with, the bootblock can't locate the 2nd-stage to continue booting.

 I'm using Linux to write the image, but the image is my own.  I use lba to
load the so all
the comBIOS needs to do is read the boot block and jmp to it.  It pauses
for a long time
after checking ram and then just drops into PXE.  It's like he failed to do
an Identify
command to the disk.