[Soekris] How to download Linux Image through the serial port.

Chuck Yerkes chuck+soekris at 2003.snew.com
Wed Dec 10 18:05:10 UTC 2003

Quoting Ravi (ravivsn at roc.co.in):
> Hi
>  I agree that netboot is OK for networking people. But consider a shop
> keeper who wants to have soekirs box to connect to internet.
> He wont have any knowledge on linux to do dd from a linux PC onto his
> flash. Or we cant assume he will have IDE adapter to do that and to know
> netboot type of methods as well.
> I strongly feel soekris boxes need a mechanism to download linux images
> directly from serial port. This would help easy upgradation of images on
> the board.
> I feel many of soekris box users will agree with me. Ofcourse, linux
> pundits may not need this mechanism. :-)

right.  Like when I bought an apple airport, burned an image to
an EEPROM downloaded from Apple and brought it up.

Not.

I didn't buy my Soekris at the local computer shop.  It's not
an appliance.  It's a part.  If you want to OEM it and add value,
great.  Lots of people do.

Best, if you "strongly feel" this so much, build it.  If you're
right, you can make money on it.  When you're wrong, well that's
evolution in the capitalist system.