[Soekris] How to download Linux Image through the serial port.

Rik Kershaw-Moore rkm at tsiolkovsky.co.uk
Wed Dec 10 08:23:37 UTC 2003

On Tuesday 09 Dec 2003 8:26 pm, Chuck Yerkes wrote:
> Quoting Rick Compton (rick_c_compton at yahoo.com):

> The soekris BIOS is just that, a bios.
> It's not unix, it won't RUN unix.  It's a BIOS.

Just to muddy the waters slightly.  There is the:

http://www.linuxbios.org

which is:

"... an Open Source project aimed at replacing the normal BIOS with a little
bit of hardware initialization and a compressed Linux kernel that can be
booted from a cold start."

Now it currently is aimed at the x86 PC market but I am sure it is not beyond
the wit of man to actually do this to a Soekris box.

Of course how sensible an idea it is, is anyone's guess.  I have never got the
guts up to try it - yet since it means removing the bios chip whilst the PC
is up and running and replacing it with your blank EPROM (if you don't have a
programmer).

--
"I am not a free man - I am an interactive protocol!"