[Soekris] How to download Linux Image through the serial port.

Chuck Yerkes chuck+soekris at 2003.snew.com
Tue Dec 9 20:26:36 UTC 2003

Quoting Rick Compton (rick_c_compton at yahoo.com):
> Hello All:
>
> Apologies in advance if this is covered elsewhere. I did check the archive
> without luck.
>
> I am about to purchase some 4521 boxes with the flash on the board rather
> than using a CF slot. My question is how to I get my Linux image onto that
> on-board flash. I know there is a download command on the bios but that is
> where I am stuck. Can someone guide a newbie through the process?

Wow, a whole festival of bad questions.  This is 3 of 3.

The soekris BIOS is just that, a bios.
It's not unix, it won't RUN unix.  It's a BIOS.

The BIOS is used, for most intents, to get it to boot from
the "disk" which happens to be a compact Flash in our case.

You cannot/do not "upload linux through the serial port" to the
flash that is there (say it with me) for the BIOS.  The
BIOS is the layer between the board and the operating system.

Further, the Soekris is not a card for another computer, it IS a computer.