[Soekris] net4801 - Linux boot?

Sat Dec 6 19:11:37 UTC 2003

Göran Sandin writes:
> Hi,
>
> I wonder if someone can help me with this?
>
> I am trying to get a net4801 to boot Linux. I have tried both with PXE-boot
> and a compact flash card, so far no success...
>
> The reason I did not get the PXE-boot to work is probably because I have not
> yet figured out how to supply the root-system correct.
>
> This is the last part before it halts:
>
> "PXELINUX 2.07 2003-11-22  Copyright (C) 1994-2003 H. Peter Anvin
> MMiissssiinngg  ppaarraammeetteerr  iinn  ccoonnffiigg  ffiillee..
> LLooaaddiinngg vmmlliinnuuzz--22..44..2222--nneett44880011....................
> ..............RReeaaddyy.."
>
> It is probably something missing in /tftpboot/PXEclient/pxelinux.cfg/default
>
> The reason I tried PXE was since I could not get it up and running with the
> compact flash.

this version will get rid of those double characters.

http://centerclick.org/net4801/pxelinux/pxelinux.0.gz

I found pxelinux get very confused with complicated config files.
This one works just fine for me (both nfs root and local root)

http://centerclick.org/net4801/pxelinux/default

You can also see the kernel config I'm using at (2.4.23)

http://centerclick.org/net4801/kernel_config

> I then returned to the compact flash and have now spent enough hours on it to
> understand that a little help could not hurt :-)
>
> This is the lilo.conf I try to use (well the latest version....):
>
> boot = /dev/sda1
> install = /mnt/cf/boot/boot.b
> map = /mnt/cf/boot/System.map-2.4.22-pebble
>
> vga = normal
>
> read-only
> serial=0,19200n8
> prompt
> timeout=50
>
> disk = /dev/sda
> cylinders=980
> heads=8
> sectors=32
>
> delay = 50

/dev/sda* is wrong (unless you've hacked your 4801 to contain a SCSI
card) use /dev/hda*

You also shouldn't include the serial line as that will cause double
output.  It's important to make sure /boot/boot.b is the 'text'
version not the menu version.

I threw my lilo.conf at:

http://centerclick.org/net4801/lilo.conf

To get lilo going, It's easiest to pxe boot the kernel with a local
root fs (not nfsroot), then run lilo as the cf will already be mounted
on /

--
Dave