[Soekris] Gentoo on Soekris?

Chuck Yerkes chuck+soekris at 2003.snew.com
Wed Aug 13 21:43:34 UTC 2003

Quoting Jim Gifford (jim at giffords.net):
> On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 02:19:56PM -0400, Alexander Payne wrote:
> > Anybody tried to slap Gentoo on Soekris system?  Idle curiosity.
> > Apologies if such things have been discussed in the archives, but
> > there's no search interface...
>
> I recently built up a gentoo system for my soekris in a chroot on my
> P4-2GHz laptop.  I netbooted the soekris using pxelinux and nfsroot, then
> set up the CF card from that nfs booted soekris.  I ended up with
> approximately 110M in use on the 256M CF card.  I only copied bits and
> pieces that I needed.
>
> In my opinion, it wasn't worth the effort.  Now that I found the trick to

I can't really imagine hoping that someone else compiled the
binaries I want right - aside from the library version issues
that I always run into with RPMs and dependancy games there's
now the issue that perhaps FSF's server was compromised.  Since
march.  <boggle>

Either way (source or binaries), you end up with binaries.
I just keep a list of the files I need (and most of /usr/lib/*)
and make a tarball distro from that.

I've got an overly functional 50MB setup that's a useful shell
machine for me has well as being an AP/IPSEC end, IPv6 gateway,
DHCP server, DNS server.

Going through this exercise the first time (in 94 or so) meant
getting familiar with ALL those files in /usr/bin and /usr/sbin/.
not a bad thing to know.  Never found out what SunOS's "chill"
was for tho.

Why so many man pages are missing in linux is beyond me, but
tar will take a list of files to tar up from another file.