[Soekris] Strange problem booting 2.4.21 on 4521]

Joshua Jackson soekris at vortech.net
Wed Aug 6 23:19:37 UTC 2003

On Wednesday 06 August 2003 5:47 pm, Bubba Parker wrote:
> This system does use busybox, but not for init, so the inittab does not
> concern busybox. Even if we were going to use busybox for init (we *did*
> upgrade to 1.0), how should the inittab look?
>
> Thanks

The problem isn't actually with the init application, it is with getty, but
the 0.6x version had a work around hardcoded to avoid this situation. It can
be fixed with 1.0 by using an inittab like:

::sysinit:/etc/rc.d/rcS
::respawn:/sbin/getty 19200 console

Basically, you just need to make sure that you are not spawning getty on a
/dev/ttyx device. The above assumes that you are using a serial console. It
could also read:

::sysinit:/etc/rc.d/rcS
::respawn:/sbin/getty 19200 ttyS0

I use the "console" device so that I can have two bootloader options that
allow me to change from VGA to serial console.

--
Joshua Jackson
Vortech Consulting, LLC