[Soekris] Maximum throughput on Soekris 4521

Thomas Lundquist lists at zelow.no
Wed Aug 6 11:45:51 UTC 2003

On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 07:09:43PM +0900, Harald Kubota wrote:

> Now with a net4521 between, which only forwards packets (no filter, NAT
> or anything else):
> A - hub - 4521 with internal network port - crosslink cable - P: 55Mbit/s
> A - hub - 4521 with Cardbus RTL8139C card - crosslink cable - P: 34Mbit/s
>
> The other direction was very similar in speed (55 resp. 30Mbit/s).
>
> This is a bit less than 100MBit/s what it could have been theoretically.

you have to consider that you have a kernel inbetween which also
hinders throughput, not only the speed of the Soekris CPU.

I do hope this is way old information but a talk I was at q few years
ago said that the typical throuput through the Linux kernel was
50'ish Mbit/sec.

but this was either very early in the 2.4 tree or using 2.2 so I do hope
later 2.4 and 2.6 kernels does have a way better throughput (which is
what the people giving the talk were working with.).

the only real test you can do is to put the same Linuxkernel on a (way?)
faster machine and decent NICs and see what happens then.

(my guess is maximum 80'ish Mbit/sec)

Thomas.