[Soekris] Maximum throughput on Soekris 4521

Harald Kubota hkubota at gmx.net
Wed Aug 6 10:09:43 UTC 2003

>From: Joshua Jackson <soekris at vortech.net>
>To: daniel at citynetwireless.net, soekris-tech at lists.soekris.com
>Subject: Re: [Soekris] Maximum throughput on Soekris 4521
>Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 17:02:27 -0400
>

>>This is just a quick question ... Has anyone done any testing to see
>>what the maximum possible throughput is on network devices on the 4521?
>>I haven't tested it in any way but would assume an overall average of
>>about 40-50 mbps?  Anyway, if anybody knows, please let me know. :)
>>Thanks!
>>

>That would also depend on the OS and complexity of any filters you may have in
>place.
>
>I have a 4501 that I just put through its paces in production last night...
>Using Linux 2.4.21 and a pretty hefty set of iptables filter rulesets
>(roughly 25 chains with upwards of 250 individual filtering rules) I was able
>to achieve darn near full wire-speed (100Mbps) for a sustained period of
>time.

I have an net4521 (and I am happy with it, although I am surprised how slow
a 486-133MHz is compared to the 2GHz Athlon).

I did some tests between 2 fast machines (Athlon:A and a Dual-P3:P with
netperf
4521 was running Linux 2.6.0-test1

A - crosslink cable - P: netperf showed nearly 100Mbit/s
A - hub - P: again 100Mbit/s (netperf does not seem to benefit from Full
Duplex)
Both in the opposite directions: again near 100Mbit/s.

Now with a net4521 between, which only forwards packets (no filter, NAT
or anything else):
A - hub - 4521 with internal network port - crosslink cable - P: 55Mbit/s
A - hub - 4521 with Cardbus RTL8139C card - crosslink cable - P: 34Mbit/s

The other direction was very similar in speed (55 resp. 30Mbit/s).

This is a bit less than 100MBit/s what it could have been theoretically.

But maybe netperf is suboptimal test.
My internet connection and WiFi is slower than the 4521 can handle, so I
don't
complain about speed issues.

Harald