[Soekris] Soekris boot - hangsup on /sbin/init - using lfs with glibc 2.3.2

Jamie Curtis jpc2 at cs.waikato.ac.nz
Mon Aug 4 21:03:58 UTC 2003

On Mon, 4 Aug 2003, J.P. Mathew wrote:

> Problem: Compiled a full lfs system with current sources including glibc
> 2.3.2, kernel 2.4.20 and gcc 3.2.3 using Ryan Oliver's notes on "pure
> lfs" on the net.  I have used Mike Machado's  .config (since Mike's
> system booted OK on the Soekris) and the new system loads perfectly on
> my PC. But when I load it on the Soekris (using PXE boot), it hangsup on

I had exactly this problem on a home built Glibc. For us it turned out we
were not specifying the subarchitecture when compiling glibc, and it
automatically detected an i686 processor and compiled with optimizations
for that.

If you didn't specify the subarchitecture you can do it with the following
option to glibc's configure:

	--host=i386-pc-linux-gnu

You could probably use i486 but we stuck with the lowest common
denominator.

Interestingly even though it was compiled for i686, the i586 compatible
Geode processor based board we have didn't seem to care, so I presume it
is a difference between the i486 and i586 that causes the problem.

Jamie

    Jamie Curtis                       email: jpc2 at cs.waikato.ac.nz
    WAND Group                       Lab G1.03 phone +64 21 392 102
    Computer Science Department, University of Waikato, New Zealand