[Soekris] Soekris boot - hangsup on /sbin/init - using lfs with glibc 2.3.2

Marc Delling delling at datenaura.com
Mon Aug 4 16:22:27 UTC 2003

Am Mon, 2003-08-04 um 17.18 schrieb J.P. Mathew:
> I got a Soekris 4521 last week and prepared an "lfs" system.
> I tested the Soekris with Mr. Mike Machado's
> (www.innercite.com/~mike/soekris) lfs system, and was happy that the
> Soekris booted up OK. But my own lfs system fails to load.
> Here is the description of the problem, and I will appreciate help in
> solving the problem, or guiding me how to debug it further.
>
> Problem: Compiled a full lfs system with current sources including glibc
> 2.3.2, kernel 2.4.20 and gcc 3.2.3 using Ryan Oliver's notes on "pure
> lfs" on the net.  I have used Mike Machado's  .config (since Mike's
> system booted OK on the Soekris) and the new system loads perfectly on
> my PC. But when I load it on the Soekris (using PXE boot), it hangsup on
>
> I used my kernel and Mike's  root file system (which uses libc-2.2.5-7
> )- and that loads OK.
> I compiled "init"  static using my old glibc on the PC (from a RedHat
> 8.0 installation) and just replaced that component alone, and the init
> proceeds until the next executable that needs the shared library
> (agetty) and it hangs there.
>
> Problem seems to be with ld-2.3.2.so , but I am unable to debug it - not
> knowing how to proceed. I have not seen any description of this problem
> associated with ld-2.3.2.so and AMD Elan processor. Since this works OK
> on Intel Pentium, I felt there could be some bug that shows up on
> Elan/Soekris (I have 4521). I took a register dump just before
> start_thread function call (both with Mike's file system and mine) and
> it looks OK.
>
> Appreciate it if anyone could throw some light on this. My current lfs
> seems to be perfectly working on a PC, and I would like to fix the bug
> with some help from the experts on this list, rather than go back to old
> glibc, gcc version.
> Thanks a lot.
>
> Joseph Mathew
> jpm at dps-india.com
> P.S. I am in Calcutta, India - hoping to create a new bunch of
> enthusiasts here.

sounds like your glibc is compiled for a higher architecture e.g. i686,
the default when compiling on a redhat machine.

when using a dynamically linked init you get nothing but the last kernel
message "Freeing usused kernel memory ...."
when using a statically linked init you get something like "id '1'
respawning too fast. disabled..."

it happens because the glibc is wrong for that binary and/or
architecture.

be sure to compile glibc with --host=i386-pc-linux-gnu to be
backward-compatible.

Marc Delling
--
datenaura.com