[Soekris] Re: net4801 not recognizing Compact Flash

Michael Sierchio kudzu at tenebras.com
Fri Aug 1 13:45:53 UTC 2003

Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> I just received my 4801, and it sees the disk fine, both 2.5" and CF.
>
> The four pins a little to the side on the 2.5" disk is actually the
> master/slave jumper location.  Depending on the disk you may need
> to jumper something there.

Are you referring to the jumpers on the disk?  Yes, those select
Master (no pin), Slave or Cable Select.  I didn't see any
jumpers on the board, if that's what you mean... ;-)

But the problem I described can be reproduced without a disk present --
it simply doesn't show the CF in the BIOS, and won't boot from it.

> I did have to fiddle a bit with the flat-cable from the soekris
> to the disk but now it works just great.

Well, that gives me hope that I have a defective unit and not
a defective BIOS.  I'll see about returning it for one that
works.