[Soekris] Radio receivers for time synchronization?

Michael Sierchio kudzu at tenebras.com
Tue Apr 22 20:15:40 UTC 2003

David Kelly wrote:

> GPS is the likely solution. Not sure if the remote site will have a
> suitable location for the GPS.

If you don't have a good view of the sky, then PHK's suggestion
is best.  He suggested the following combination in case GPS is
feasible (use a consumer unit to see if you can get 4 or 5
satellites locked).

http://www.synergy-gps.com/GSynQ_EnTN-813.pdf

if you have more than a few meters between the Soekris and the
antenna, you'll need RS422 instead of RS232

http://www.quatech.com/catalog/rs422_upci.php

Total solution w/both cards is $450.00  The GSynQ/T is $289.00.

> A WWV receiver is another possibility. But I've not had much luck in
> finding something in my ~$200 price range.
>
> Hmm. I have a $20 "Atomic Time" LCD clock on my wall. Maybe I need a USB
> camera pointed at it and use OCR to set the system clock.  :-)

Rev. Kamp also suggested replacing the xtal on the mobo with an
ovenized xtal, which would make the LOCAL(0) clock pretty good.