[Soekris] hostap

John Hay jhay at icomtek.csir.co.za
Tue Apr 15 05:34:59 UTC 2003

> I guess what Chuck didn't understand is that some hardware doesn't work
> on the 4521 under FreeBSD.  One of the Demarc 200mw cards will work, but
> with two the second won't work - at least with FreeBSD 4.x.  It does with
> Linux, not well, but it works. Had I known that BEFORE I bought everything
> I could have saved myself alot of time, work and better allocated the
> funds.  There was nothing in any of the archives, FreeBSD's or Soekris'.
> So that's something you want to avoid.  One Demarc card and anything else
> (even another prism based card) worked tho.
>
> There may be other hardware/software combos that don't work that maybe
> someone else knows of.

Is it just two of those Demarc 200mw cards that don't want to work
together or any two of the same cards? If the latter, the "problem"
is that the standard pccard.conf file only make provision for one
of each kind. A little tweaking of the file make it possible to
use more than one of the same card. For instance I use this to use
two Lucent cards:

####################
# Lucent WaveLAN/IEEE
card "Lucent Technologies" "WaveLAN/IEEE"
        config  0x1 "wi0" ?
        config  auto "wi1" ?
        insert  /etc/pccard_ether $device start
        remove  /etc/pccard_ether $device stop

Notice the two config lines.

It works pretty well for me. I get pretty much "line" speed routing
through that box.

John
--
John Hay -- John.Hay at icomtek.csir.co.za / jhay at FreeBSD.org