[Soekris] Serial port

Dirk-Willem van Gulik dirkx at webweaving.org
Thu Apr 10 09:54:18 UTC 2003

On Thu, 10 Apr 2003, Martin Jessa wrote:

> I have bought a few of the net4521 boards and I am having problems to
> connect to them via serial cable. Could someone please give me some
> guidence in how to set up my minicom in order to be able to connect to
> the boars? I use FreeBSD 4.8 if it may be of any help.

Standard cross over/null modem cable - any Radio Shack will have them, or

	http://www.nullmodem.com/NullModem.htm
	http://www.loop-back.com/null-mod.html

On freebsd:

	su root
	vi /etc/remote

Add/edit a line like

	# COM1 19k2 and 9k6 speed
	com1f:dv=/dev/cuaa0:br#19200:pa=none:
	com1s:dv=/dev/cuaa0:br#9600:pa=none:
	# COM2 19k2 and 9k6 speed
	com2f:dv=/dev/cuaa1:br#19200:pa=none:
	com2s:dv=/dev/cuaa1:br#9600:pa=none:

And then simply try:

	tip com1f

Power up the device. If you see NOTHING do com2f - trying the other com
port; if you see garble try 'tip com1s' to see if the speed is 9600.

Dw