[Soekris] HiFn chip and compression...

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Wed Apr 9 23:05:56 UTC 2003

Markus Friedl wrote:

> Yes, I think OpenBSD 3.3 will have support for this
> (im IPcomp).

Hmmm.... Digging through the info on the HiFn site, it looks as though it
can only do LZS and MPPC which are good for network communication, but I was
toying with an another idea.  I wanted to cache some data on the Soekris,
but I wanted to compress the cache contents so that I could store more
without eating up too much RAM.  The problem is that the data may be
accessed frequently, so it would only make sense to do this if I could
compress/decompress it very quickly (in chunks, so that I wouldn't need to
worry about decompressing the whole thing and running out of memory).

In other words, the compression available on the chip is useful, but not for
my particular purposes.   Still, it will be nice to have access to it.

Thanks!

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org