[Soekris] Second Serial Port as RJ45?

Mark Smith mark at halibut.com
Tue Nov 26 23:48:39 UTC 2002

On Wed, Nov 27, 2002 at 12:21:50AM +0100, Bernd Walter wrote:
> I've never seen anything else than GND on 4 or 5, and TX/RX on 3/6 on
> modern devices but different use of the remaining pins.
> Even my old xyplex systems agree on these lines.

Digiboard: TX/RX are on 4/5, GND on 3/6.
http://ftp.digi.com/support/techsupport/common/rj45-db9.html

The EIA standard.  Apparently, I was wrong.  You don't even get a Data/GND
pair with EIA.  Can someone explain the logic behind this for me?
http://www.interfacebus.com/Design_Connector_RS232.html
http://nemesis.lonestar.org/reference/telecom/modems/dtedce.html

I also remember incorrectly with the Livingston; it does use the
Cisco standard.

Oy.  Here's a device that I've never heard of (BayTech) that uses
a totally different pin-out than I've ever seen.  This site also
lists pin-outs to go from a BayTech to a bunch of other devices,
so you could use that as a guide to see what pin-out those other
devices use.
http://www.baytechdcd.com/support/cable_adapters.shtml

Suffice to say, there is no good "standard."   This is why I suggest
that which is probably most common (certainly most common in my
machine rooms) which is the Cisco "standard."  It also makes the
most sense to me.

-Mark
--
Mark Smith - finger mark at halibut.com for GPG v1.0.1 public key