[Soekris] Second Serial Port as RJ45?

Bob Vaughan techie at tantivy.stanford.edu
Tue Nov 26 23:30:12 UTC 2002

> From: Mark Smith <mark at halibut.com>
> To: ticso at cicely.de
> Cc: soekris-tech at lists.soekris.com
> Subject: Re: [Soekris] Second Serial Port as RJ45?
> Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 14:06:41 -0800
>

> You can get most of what you need.  You can ditch RI and DCD for console
> use and you still get hard ware flow control.  The Digiboards (and Boca
> Boards) use a 10pin RJ-45 (Is there a special RJ number for 10 pin?)
> so you can get RI and DCD.

Actually, we're not even talking about RJ-45..

RJ-45 applies to a specific connector, wired a specific way, for a specific
telephone application as defined in part 68 of the FCC regulations.

The same connector, wired in a different manner for a different telephone
application, carries a different RJ-xx designation.

When wired for ethernet, token ring, serial, etc, there is no applicable
RJ-xx designation, since those applications are not defined in part 68,
which is where the "registered jack" terminology originates from.

Bob Vaughan  | techie@{w6yx|tantivy}.stanford.edu | kc6sxc at w6yx.ampr.org
	     | P.O. Box 19792, Stanford, Ca 94309
-- I am Me, I am only Me, And no one else is Me, What could be simpler? --