[Soekris] Second Serial Port as RJ45?

Chuck Yerkes chuck+soekris at 2003.snew.com
Tue Nov 26 18:51:28 UTC 2002

Quoting Brooks Davis (brooks at one-eyed-alien.net):
> On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 10:16:36AM -0800, Michael Sierchio wrote:
> > Mark Smith wrote:
> > > As great of an idea as I think this is (I really do; I love RJ-45s),
> > > the next logical discussion becomes, which "standard" RJ-45 serial
> > > connection do we use?
> >
> > Put dual DIN connectors on the box instead -- achieves the goal of reducing
> > real estate, but according to a standard.
DIN!?  Those little round things?  I'd take just IDE headers near the
middle of the board (I'm always nervous soldering on costly surface
mount boards ...).

> I don't even want to think about making DIN to RJ-45 adaptors for my
> cyclades terminal servers.  At least I can make RJ-45 cables to do match
> what ever is used.  My preference would by Cisco/Sun pinout followed by

Annex!!  okay, cisco/sun is fine.

A punch down from whatever you have to an RJ45 patch panel is really
handy.  You can adapt the wierd whatever you have to what you need.
I've also been a big fan of having one of these in Data Center
cabinets (each or end of row, depending on density).

It's useful to stand at the end of the row and be able to punch
into console on any machine you have, even if it means temporarily
pulling out the term serv connection (must remember to put those
back - 45 minute rides to downtown NYC at 3AM sucks when you forget).

The Nemith system admin book has a scheme from Berkeley to wire RJ-45
well.  A straight cable is DTE-DCE, a reversed cable is a null modem!