[Soekris] Mailing-List delivers twice

Huub Reuver h_reuver at mantell.xs4all.nl
Sat May 25 11:00:45 UTC 2002

On Sat, May 25, 2002 at 11:17:48AM +0200, Bernd Walter wrote:
> On Sat, May 25, 2002 at 08:30:08AM +0200, Huub Reuver wrote:
> > On Fri, May 24, 2002 at 10:53:03PM +0200, Andreas Mixich wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I am currently getting any mail twice.
> >
> > In my opinion some people are using a wrong policy to answer mails.
> > I think they should choose between answering on the list or answering
> > directly to the person.
>
> Nope.
> I *want* both as I get them to different addresses.
> I *hate* if people reduce the recipient list on their personal insight.
> If you personly have a different policy you can always set a
> followup-to header to exclude your own address.

http://www.gweep.ca/~edmonds/usenet/ml-etiquette.html

 Should I mail a copy to the person I'm replying to?
 That depends, but usually the answer is no. ...

Frankly said, I think that when you *need* a fast reply you could use your
normal address or a spam-address with a forward set to your normal
address.

Your needs are in this particular case an exception to normal netiquette.
Please do note that you are *expanding* the recipient list!
Other mailing lists usually replace the Reply-to address by a reply to
the list. Thus behaviour according to netiquette is forced.

As for me, I think I can force similar behaviour locally, if the general
mailinglist setup isn't adjusted.

As far as I'm concerned this is my last reply on this subject on the list.
Flames please off-list.

With regards,
Huub
PS: Sorry for the off-topic mail on the list. I hope some people may benefit
from it though.