[Soekris] net4501, tftp filename problem

Javier Fernandez jfernand at mtu.edu
Wed Jun 19 20:49:33 UTC 2002

At 03:47 PM 6/19/2002 -0400, Paul Komarek wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm very new to netbooting.  I've done root nfs to a pc, but this is my
>first try at tftp'ing the kernel.  Watching a network monitor, my dhcp
>server send a bootfile string of /foo, but the net4501 requests /foo\377
>from the tftp server and gets a "file not found" error.  I fully expect
>I'm doing something stupid, but an hour or so of reading and
>experimentation hasn't shown me what stupid thing I'm doing.  Does anyone
>have any ideas about what is happening?
>
>I can happily grab the file with a tftp client (of course, I don't append
>\377, either).

We have seen this problem with PXE and Solaris DHCP/TFTP. The PXE stacks we
tested were the Intel 100/10 Pro card's and, of course, our 4501 toasters.
The problem we encountered was that we were using the OptBootFile parameter
instead of the BootFile parameter. PXE was parsing that option wrong. The
/377 that you were seeing was probably adjacent to the option passed by
DHCP. It looks like it is perhaps a PXE bug, but it is workable.

I'd be happy to help you get things going, since it looks like we've dealt
with this already.

J.