[Soekris] net4501, tftp filename problem

Paul Komarek komarek at andrew.cmu.edu
Wed Jun 19 19:47:00 UTC 2002

Hi,

I'm very new to netbooting.  I've done root nfs to a pc, but this is my
first try at tftp'ing the kernel.  Watching a network monitor, my dhcp
server send a bootfile string of /foo, but the net4501 requests /foo\377
from the tftp server and gets a "file not found" error.  I fully expect
I'm doing something stupid, but an hour or so of reading and
experimentation hasn't shown me what stupid thing I'm doing.  Does anyone
have any ideas about what is happening?

I can happily grab the file with a tftp client (of course, I don't append
\377, either).

Details:

net4501:
comBIOS ver. 1.05  20020419  Copyright (C) 2000-2001 Soekris Engineering.
Soekris Engineering net4501               CPU 80486 134 Mhz
0064 Mbyte Memory
PXE-M00: BootManage UNDI, PXE-2.0 (build 082)

CLIENT MAC ADDR: 00 00 24 XX XX XX
CLIENT IP: X.X.X.X  MASK: 255.255.255.0  DHCP IP: X.X.X.X
TFTP.
PXE-T01: File not found
PXE-E3B: TFTP Error - File Not found
PXE-M0F: Exiting BootManage PXE ROM.

DHCP server: Internet Software Consortium DHCP Server V3.0pl1
tftp server: netkit-tftp 0.17

Packet dumps available on request.  In short, they show the 4 DHCP
packets, with the offer and the ack showing /foo for the bootfile,
followed by a tftp request for /foo\377.

-Paul Komarek