[Soekris] Performance question

Arnt Gulbrandsen arnt at gulbrandsen.priv.no
Thu Jun 13 14:23:07 UTC 2002

Martin Labrecque <martin at pgci.ca>
> I've been on the list for a while now and still don't have a net4501. My
> problem is that I'm not sure that a 486 is fast enough to do a
> firewall/IDS when connected to 3 100 Mbps lans. I know this is a very
> vague question but any experience/comment would be appreciated.

3 100 Mbps ethernet cards all in full duplex means that you can receive,
route and transmit 300Mbps in the extreme case. That means moving 600Mbps
over the PCI bus.

The 4501 will NOT handle that.

People have reported 30-70Mbps as the realistic sustained speed. More than
I need, probably more than you need too.

--Arnt