[Soekris] Performance question

Bernd Walter soekris-tech at cicely.de
Thu Jun 13 13:33:36 UTC 2002

On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 09:22:24AM -0400, Martin Labrecque wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I've been on the list for a while now and still don't have a net4501. My
> problem is that I'm not sure that a 486 is fast enough to do a
> firewall/IDS when connected to 3 100 Mbps lans. I know this is a very
> vague question but any experience/comment would be appreciated.

Persons on the list have stated that 50-70MBit is possible depending
on OS and configuration.
I have not made any bandwith tests with mine yet, but from the first
impression with FreeBSD I would take the values as realistic.
That's enough for the typical external-dmz-internal scenario where
the external bandwith is usually below that limit.

ticso at bwct.de                                  info at bwct.de