[Soekris] MiniPCI Wireless cards

Jim Thompson jim at musenki.com
Wed Jun 12 19:37:52 UTC 2002

John Morris writes:
> Sent you a couple of questions offline, see 'em?  Here're more.
>
> Wow.  What brand hardware?  I've heard of the 200mW Prisms.  Is it
> completely illegal to use these in the US?  How about in Hong Kong?  :)

Brand:  its re-branded Musenki, but I think my last posting said that
yes, Saneo is the manufacturer of the 200mW 802.11b cards.  TDK is the
manufacturer of the 802.11a and 802.11a/b/g cards.   I can't give you
the tx power/rx sens specs on the Atheros cards, because its all still
under NdA.

Completely legal in the US, as long as they have an FCCID, which is
part of what we're adding.

Hong Kong: no idea.

> Very cool, 802.11a miniPCI.  What kind of antenna connectors do those have?
> Same U.FL?  Those go up to 6GHz, but I dunno about what the FCC prescribes
> for antenna connector restrictions....  Do they all support dual diversity
> antennas?

Yes, same U.FL.
Yes, they all support dual diversity.

> How about the antennas?  Dishes?  Yagis?  Omnis?  Indoor?  Outdoor?  Do you
> have antennas for 802.11a?

Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes.  Yes.

> Oh, one more question, that same driver and control program that seems to
> come with every Prism card, be it a LinkSys, or a D-Link, or a Zoom, or
> whatever, is that the same Windows driver you have for these cards?  I think
> I'll be looking for a MiniPCI card for my laptop while I'm at it.  Seems I
> saw plans once for flat omni antennas that you could tape onto a flat
> surface, such as the back of a notebook.  :)

SmartAnt makes a nice U.FL 'clip-on' antenna.  You just have to get
the micro-coax out of the laptop.

> That's enough for now.  Is this message off topic?  The first occurrance in
> this email of the word 'Soekris' was just now.  Sorry!

I don't know if this is on-topic or not.  I guess Soren should tell
us.

I do want to make it clear that the nic/pigtail/antenna sales here are
outside 'Musenki'.  We're leveraging the relationships that Musenki
has for this stuff, but its 'me' selling it (under an as-yet-unnamed
company name), not Musenki.

Jim

--
"Perl is basically TECO-99."  ---Barry Shein