[Soekris] MiniPCI Wireless cards

Sam Littlewood sam at sixthavenue.co.uk
Tue Jun 11 23:17:53 UTC 2002

Hardware:

The part is Order code 3910659 "CABLE ASSEMBLY U.FL 200MM" at GBP3.05 ex
vat.

Be warned - this is U.FL to 20cm of bare cable, so something will need to be
put on the other end - all connectors & cable should be 50 ohm impedance.

I put a bulkhead BNC (eg: farnell 3241440), fitted that in the net4501 case,
and then put a socket on a cabled Buffalo omni antenna that I blagged - that
was just coz. it was what I could lay hands on.

Warning - from here on is 2nd hand & guesswork - i am not much of an RF guy:

For testing in the same/neighbouring rooms, i guess you could get away with
13cm of straight single core wire connected to the centre of the coax from
the pigtail (in fact, you will probably get a couple of metres range from
the bare socket with the case of the net4501.)

A little omni dipole (rubber duck) would probably be fine for a house - find
a cheap one - get the matching connector from farnell (probably SMA or
Reverse-TNC) and apply/blag some soldering skills. The coax on the pigtail
is not too bad too work with - sharp knife and a steady hand with the
soldering iron, then lots of hot glue on top to stop the joint getting
stressed.

(Antennas seem to be alot cheaper when sold for wireless video, and I
believe, work just as well)

Some links of people doing stuff for themselves - and will have lots more
cluefull info:

http://www.consume.net
http://www.wlan.org.uk/
http://www.sentinet.demon.co.uk/
http://www.wireless.org.au/~jhecker/helix/helical.html

NB: lot of the homebrew antenna stuff is solving long distance
point-to-point with tight beams, rather than spreading coverage across a
building.

Software:

I just use OpenBSD3.1, pretty much out of the box - about 6 lines of setup
gets the card going as 802.11 adhoc, and I currently have 2 pcs (WinXP &
OBSD) and a Mac talking to it. I have had problems getting WEP (Encryption)
to work - this may be an issue with the firware i have in the orinico card -
however, I am switching to VPN for the remote clients (even tho' it means
paying for a VPN client for MacOS).

I am _VERY_ interested in geting hold of a Prism based MiniPCI  card, since
there is support for running in true access point mode.