[Soekris] Turning the net4521 into an access point

David Young dyoung at ojctech.com
Wed Jul 31 21:26:27 UTC 2002

Lars,

Demarctech.com sells 180mW Zcomax cards for $150. Tony Morella at
Demarctech alleges that they have a better RF amp section than the
Prism2.5 reference design. People disagree whether they run cooler
than the $100 200mW Senao cards, which I think are based on the Prism
reference design w/ very little modification.

Some pigtails can be had from Demarctech at absurdly high prices. I had
some custom-built for less at rfparts.com.

Dave

On Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 11:25:43AM -0700, Lars Eggert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to turn our net4521's into access points running FreeBSD, and
> have a few questions:
>
> 1. What "rubber ducky" antennas can I mount into the holes in the
> chassis? Where do I order them from?
>
> 2. What are good Prism-based 802.11b PC-cards (the Mini-PCI slot is used
> for the crypto accelerator)? I've heard that the Zcomax cards are
> decent, are there other/cheaper/better ones?
>
> 3. Where do I get pigtails to connect the Zcomax cards (MMCX connectors)
> to whatever "rubber ducky" antenna is recommended above?
>
> Thanks,
> Lars
> --
> Lars Eggert <larse at isi.edu>           USC Information Sciences Institute