[Soekris] attaching the net4521 to a panel?

David Young dyoung at ojctech.com
Wed Jul 31 18:35:10 UTC 2002

I am trying to figure out how to attach standoffs for my net4521 to the
broad side of my waterproof enclosure. The sides are thin steel---too
thin to take threads. It is important that the attachment hardware for
the standoffs is rugged, vibration- and tamper-proof, and "leakproofable."

I have considered a few things already.

I have considered drilling holes to fit the stems of those brass
hex standoffs that one mounts PC motherboards with. I would poke the
standoffs through the holes, tighten a hex nut to the stems, and then
hammer the stems flat to keep the nuts from unscrewing. Should I avoid
this for any other reason than it is hackish?  (For instance, will brass
on steel corrode?)

I have also considered panel nuts. It seems that these are only applied
with an expensive press, such as an "arbor press" ($150 or more) with
a 6"-8" throat (even more expensive!) to reach the bottom of my enclosure.

Other panel nuts look flimsy. And I do not understand how some of the nuts
are applied. If you're curious, there are illustrations at mcmaster.com:
search for "panel nuts."

Dave

dyoung at onthejob.net     Engineering from the Right Brain