[Soekris] Soekris 4521 reboots

Soren Kristensen soren at soekris.com
Mon Jul 29 14:26:11 UTC 2002

Hi Jim & List,

Jim TerWee wrote:

> I also have the problem with Mikrotik aka Senao cards also doing random
> reboots. I also tested with a 30 mw Prism card, 100mw Aironet amd a Lucent
> Card which works flawlessly. With the 200 mw card as long as I don't load
> the card its fine as soon as pull bandwidth the 4521 will randomly reboot I
> have never made it more then 7 minutes. So I would guess that the hostap
> driver is not to blame. I noticed another poster Jim Thompson also sells
> these cards maybe he has a fix as these are identical to his.

There is an issue with a new power supply circuit on the latest net4521
production series, having problems with large transient current draw on
the 3.3V power line. If that 200mW card is a 3.3V card, then that power
supply issue is probably causing your problem.

Anybody experiencing that problem problem can return the net4521 for
modification.

If you fell like it and have a soldering iron, you can also do the
modification yourself:

Replace the resistor R76 with a 39Kohm 5% 0603 size resistor. R76 is
located next to U6 in the corner with the three tall electrolytic
capacitors.

Best Regards,

Soren Kristensen

Soekris Engineering