[Soekris] keeping the net4521 warm in winter?

David Young dyoung at ojctech.com
Thu Jul 25 03:15:57 UTC 2002

I am building outdoor enclosures for my net4521s using surplus ammunition
cans. I think I can defeat sunlight, precipitation, and condensation
without modifying the cans too much, but I do not know how to keep a
canned Soekris board within temp specs (minimum 0 C) in winter cold
(-40 C).

Can anyone suggest an inexpensive way to keep the can's insides warm
electrically? I have an energy budget: whatever my PoE injector can
provide, minus a few tens of feet of cable losses.

Also, what is a circuit I can build for cheap that lets me monitor
temperature in the can? I prefer something I can plug into the GPIO or
serial port.

Dave

dyoung at onthejob.net     Engineering from the Right Brain
                        Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933