[Soekris] Guide to reducing FreeBSD (a.k.a. miniBSD :)

Mark Renouf mark at tweakt.net
Thu Jul 18 22:07:56 UTC 2002

Manuel Kasper wrote:

> Some FreeBSD knowledge is required to get it to work, however. I now
> have FreeBSD 4.6 running on my net4501; the operating system takes up
> about 38 MB on the CF card (including frills like perl, thttpd, dhcpd,
> ...); without perl it works out to about 28 MB - so there's ample space
> left for user data. I've tried not to sacrifice any important
> funcionality, and so you can ssh/ftp in like on a normal FreeBSD system,
> and most commands are available.

Ooh! I could really use something like that. I was toying with the idea
of using thttpd with php (statically linked to it)... it works but php
is not the best at parsing config files. And I beleive theres more code
already out there in perl for this task I could take advantage of.

How did you get perl to fit in there? Could perl be added to OpenBSD?

A couple things I want/need: perl, weget or similar with ssl (or perl
could do this), and a way to send mail via another smptpd box.