[Soekris] Maybe of interest to some...

Stephen Early steve at greenend.org.uk
Thu Feb 28 16:31:45 UTC 2002

On Thursday, 28 Feb 2002, Mart wrote:

> If anyone's interested, I will probably write a webpage with
> instructions and downloadable images... seems like most people are
> doing BSD though.

I used Debian.

I used PXELINUX (hacked slightly so that the console display works
correctly) to boot a Linux kernel with support for autoconfiguration
(IP address supplied manually on the kernel command line) and
nfsroot.  I booted a minimal NFS root system that enabled me to
fdisk/mke2fs the flash card, untar the Debian base system onto it,
edit a few configuration files (notably inittab, securetty and
lilo.conf) and run lilo.

Then I could just boot the Debian base system, configure an IP address
and so on, and use apt to install the other packages I need.

The net4501 is fast enough to do routing, NAT and firewalling between
my house internal network, wireless network and cable modem, and to
run secnet (http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~secnet/) with
reasonable session key setup times.

I have a vpn1211 as well, but I haven't needed to use it yet (which is
fortunate, because I haven't yet written a driver for it or added
support to secnet).

Steve Early