[Soekris] IDE?

Duane Wessels wessels at packet-pushers.com
Mon Feb 18 19:58:51 UTC 2002

> Duane, what was the power consumption of the HDD you used with the LM7805?
>  Maybe a lower-power drive wouldn't present a problem?

It's been a while since I tried the CF-IDE-ADP, but I think the
HDD was drawing around 250-300 mA when idle and 400-450 when working.
I was using a very old (256 MB!) laptop drive.  I'll bet the newer
ones are lower power.

I wasn't too worried about the heat generated by the LM7805.  I
would have mounted a heat sink to the 4501 case, or maybe mount
the regulator directly to the case.  I was also prepared to drill
some holes in the case if necessary.

There was just enough room in the case for the HDD plus the mounting
brackets from the 2.5-to-3.5 kit.  With the new 4501 cases, I don't
know if the HDD would fit.